Doug Wherry, PGA
Director of Instruction
A Denver native, Doug founded Jakes Academy in 2004 after a successful career as a player in High School, College and the Pro ranks. His passion for mentoring juniors is his life’s joy, following in the footsteps of his mentors.
- Head of Instruction, Arnold Palmer Golf Academies 1992-1998 (Saddlebrook Resort, Tampa FL – Oasis Resort, Mesquite NV)
- Voted top 10 instructors in CO by Golf Digest
- 1981 Colorado State High School Champion
- 1982 National High School All – America
- Collegiate All-America 1987 (University of Texas-El Paso)
- 1988 -89 South African Sunshine Tour
- 1988 US Open (The Country Club)
- 1997- Present Class A Member PGA of America
- 2000-2002 Bear Creek GC (Denver, CO) Director of instruction
- 2003-Present Founder/Owner, Jakes Academy
Richard “Doc" Olshock was born in 1951 in Washington Pennsylvania. He started to develop an interest in golf at the age of 5, as every year his entire family would gather together to watch the Masters golf tournament. Arnold Palmer was a hero in Western Pennsylvania and nearly everyone became interested in golf. Doc found some hickory shafted clubs in his grandfather’s basement. Grandpa gave the clubs to Doc, as he was no longer able to play due to a stroke. From age 10 until the present, Doc has read nearly every instruction book written, as he was extremely interested in the theory of the golf swing. He is a practicing physician, obtaining his medical degree from the University of Michigan in 1977 and is still practicing as of May 2017. In 2009, he decided to do research and wrote a book called muscle golf, which was a treatise on the biomechanics of the golf swing. Because the demand for such a technical book was low, he made a two-hour DVD called “Biomechanics of a Simple Swing", available on Amazon. Next was an e-book titled “How To Use Biomechanics To Save Your Back And Your Golf Swing", also available through Amazon. Doc has recently developed a swing aid, the Pro Swingband, which is based on biomechanics and helps both beginners and accomplished golfers to improve their swings. Doc received confirmation on the validity of his biomechanical theories from Jim Flick, one of the greatest golf instructors of all time. Mr. Flick reviewed Muscle Golf and wrote the forward for it. Doc then began working with Doug to install biomechanical principles for use at Jake's Academy in order to make the golf swing easier to learn and more repeatable. Doc loves teaching golf, particularly with students who are willing to work hard. Doc’s favorite quote comes from Harvey Penick - “If you are golfer, then you are my friend."
Tyler Parsloe, PGA
Colorado native Tyler Parsloe, PGA had a successful junior golf career while attending ThunderRidge High School in Douglas County. He earned a golf scholarship from The University of Nebraska where he played Division I golf. During his collegiate summers he interned at Fossil Trace Golf Club, Aspen Glen Golf Club and did an extended internship at Cherry Hills Country Club. Upon his graduation he joined the staff at The Country Club at Castle Pines as an Assistant Professional. While at Castle Pines, Tyler implemented a multitude of instructional programs for all golf demographics in addition to organizing and running many member tournaments. His passion and competitive golf experience has enabled him to provide an intuitive and dynamic coaching style.
- Bachelor of Science - Professional Golf Management - University of Nebraska - 2012
PGA Player Development Certification - 2016
- Titleist Performance Institute Certified (TPI) - 2015
- 2012 - 2017 Assistant Golf Professional (The Country Club at Castle Pines)
- 2012 - Present PGA Class A Member
- 2007 - 2011 Big 12 Commissioners Honor Roll
- 2008 & 2009 Big 12 Championship Participant
- 2004 - 2007 ThunderRidge High School 5A State Team Champions
- 2006 Colorado Junior Match Play Champion
- 2006 Colorado Junior Stroke Play Champion
- 2006 PGA Junior Series Eisenhower Golf Club Champion
- 2006 FCWT Murphy Creek Classic Champion
- 2006 AJGA Rolex Tournament of Champions Participant
- 2006 U.S. Open Sectional Qualifier
- 2006 Colorado Junior Player of the Year
- 2005 Colorado Junior Match Play Champion
- 2005 CJGA Tournament of Champions Winner
- 2005 Colorado Junior Player of the Year
(Sport and Performance Psychology)
- Jay has experience working with athletes and performers at the Olympic, National, College, and High School levels.
- Two years working with Olympic and National team athletes at the United States Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, CO.
- Amassed over 300 sessions designed to enhance the performance of USA Olympic and National Team athletes.
- Jay has also consulted with Denver Area College and High School teams.
- Jay’s time at the University of Denver and USOTC has allowed him to study under some of the best minds in the field of Sport and Performance Psychology.
- Presented at the American Association for Applied Sport Psychology Regional Conference on increasing the understanding of psychological pressure in elite athletes.
- Jay has also presented on his work with athletes possessing cognitive and physical impairments.
- Performance Excellence & Recovery Consulting (PERC) has formed relationships with several large sport organizations in the Greater Denver Area.
- For more information on Jay and PERC: https://perconsultation.com